Thursday, 3 September 2026

On Turning 75

I turned 75 on 8th August this year. Chronologically and physiologically, that’s a fact. I mean, I’m still breathing, and I feel pain when I’m injured, so yes, I’m 75 and alive..

 

But the journey that began at Jehangir Hospital at 4:20 am on 8thAugust 1951, actually ended at Ruby Hall at 1:42 pm on 2ndSeptember, 2016. So much of me died that day that chronological and physiological facts pale into insignificance.  

 

No parent should outlive their child. Ever.

 

I started this blog on turning 60, when I officially joined the senile (sathiya-oed, as they say colloquially) lot. I had imagined a platform where I could ponder on life, and proffer some well intentioned (though hardly welcome) insights – maybe even advice - on life. I irreverently called it ‘Mitti Pao!’, the Punjabi equivalent of ‘What the heck dudejust let it go!’

 

Over the next five years, I logged almost 100 posts, and had attracted a handful of followers. It was good going, and I remember mentioning in one of my posts that ‘God has been kind’. 

 

Little did I know what lay in store.

 

On 31st August 2016, my daughter who was my world, really – my mother, my confidante, my best friend – gave birth to a baby girl, and that was my ‘cup runneth over’ moment.  It was as if she had delivered a mini version of herself, and I wept unabashedly with joy.

 

Two days later, at 1:42 pm on 2nd September, it all came crashing down. 

 

As Soren Kierkegaard, the Dutch existentialist, put it – ‘Then comes affliction to awaken the dreamer’


 

I had gone down on my knees and begged and beseeched of a God that was deaf. He just didn’t listen. My world had turned dark, my red rose had turned white.

 

I couldn’t afford to grieve, I had a two day old baby to raise. At 65, I was a parent once again. I know I did a good job, but the fact is that it was the other way round. It was she who raised me out of the darkness. Even now, ten years later, she continues to fill my world with light. 


 

But life – or a God that had forsaken me ten years ago - wasn’t quite done with me. While I cursed the son of a what not with a “Damn you to hell, what more can you put me through?” He quietly whispered back “Challenge accepted..!

 

My wife of over 50 years developed Alzheimer’s, effectively shutting herself – and ME – from the rest of the world. She recognizes no one, remembers nothing, has severe incontinence and needs 24 hour care and attention. Despite our many differences over the years, I still don’t have the heart to put her away in a home, my daughter would never stand for it anyway.

 

Of course life has its share of blessings. I have the best son in the world, three lovely granddaughters, and some awesome friends that I have collected, mostly over social media.


My 75th birthday was turned into a grand celebration by my son. But of that, and the few positives that still remain, I’ll leave for another post..


 

As Robert Frost said – If there’s one thing I’ve learned about life, it is that it must go on..  

6 comments:

  1. I read this with tears in my eyes. I can only imagine how much courage it took to put this down.

    You’ve always been so warm, so loving, to every single person who’s had the privilege of knowing you.

    You’re the best, and we love you so much! And no matter what comes, you know I’m here for you, always, the same way you’ve always been here for me.

    I’m happy you’ve started writing here again. You truly are gifted, in a way that touches everyone around you. You are special. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote Jane Austen “ Life is full of trials and tribulations.” Even if it is trial by fire.
    Yet life must go on. And it will surely be a better place with friends like you.
    I am thankful to social media that I could find you. You have been my friend mentor, guide.
    Look forward to reading more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always well written. I dint have the courage to call you on demise of 2T. Life goes ON
    Can't ever forget that you gave a scooter when my father was in Cancer ward for teartment in 1977,. He left us before we could celebrate our Maaroage Anna. God has his plans n he takes away out lover ones early. Than you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful, straight-from-the-heart piece, Harish. And especially poignant on your 75th.

    As the years come upon us, the sad truth is that while we add members to our families and gather wonderful memories and moments of joy, the Man Up There keeps an account.

    Every once in a while, He takes away someone or something dear to us, reminding us that, ultimately, all of this is transient.

    My biggest comfort has been the belief that we meet again.

    Perhaps, as a soldier, you might relate to the idea of a long posting. We don’t stop loving or remembering those who have gone ahead; we simply wait for the day when our postings finally bring us together again.

    And in the meantime, how blessed you are to have your beautiful granddaughter, grandchildren and your wonderful son who bring so much love and joy into your life. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a roller-coaster ride you have had especially in the last few years. Like a true फौजी you took it head on. You sacrificed writing blogs which were always a pleasure to read. You sort of shut yourself off from the outside world because you had so much to do. First losing your dear daughter almost immediately after she delivered and as if this was not enough you lost your wife in a different way. I know what Alzheimer can do to the care giver because my father suffered from it. The caregivers are just helpless. Harish, you did well. The worst is behind you. Fortunately, you have your loving son and granddaughters with you. They will lighten up your sorrow surely.

    Stay healthy, stay happy and stay blessed. Best wishes on your 75th birthday. Shrirang

    ReplyDelete
  6. This piece s straight from your heart!! Penning it down must have been really hard and an emotional challenge. All of us , your close friends, are aware that the going has been really tough for you over the past decade.

    What is admirable is that you stand strong despite all these setbacks. It was really nice to meet a CHEERFUL YOU at the Pune Turf Club in April of this year.

    Continue to be resilient, this too shall pass ….

    ReplyDelete